Joy

"But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.'" (Luke 2:10-11 NASB)

Like the wise men from the east I am searching for the Savior.  Like the shepherds, I want to see with my own eyes the miracle that is Christmas.

I went to Hobby Lobby today and filled my cart with Christmas decorations - new, shiny, joyful.  The search for lights and shiny green and red ornaments was like a frantic pilgrimage to the Christ Child.

When I hear a Christmas carol I cry, tears streaming down my face as I drive home, or work in the kitchen.  The joy that is part and parcel of the Christmas season breaks my heart.   Christmas is the sound of bells and songs, of bonds broken, of hearts and lives restored.

I can see the promise of Christmas in Lacy even as his body is betraying him.  He never ceases to "sing his praises to God."  He trusts in Jesus to comfort and surround him.  I am sure that angels minister to his heart on a daily basis.

Knowing those promises are true, that God is with us and is not forsaking us during this time is comforting and painful.  I can praise Him trusting that we won't be alone, but it is a joy I experience through tears that never seem to stop.

     It's because of the dark
     We see the beauty in the spark.
                     That's why, that's why
                      The carols make you cry.....Joy
      So light the winter fire,
     And see the flames grow higher and higher.
     We'll gather up our fears,
     And face down all the coming years,
     And all that they destroy,
     And in their face we throw our....Joy.
         ~ from "Joy" - Tinsel and Lights - Tracey Thorn





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope