What my son has taught me.

I am so thankful to have had the privilege of parenting Alan, and I know that my husband feels the same.  Throughout the years, Alan has taught us a lot about life and how to live it with joy and hope.  So I thought I would just list a few of the "life lessons" we have learned from our son.

Lesson 1:  Show your happiness at every opportunity.  Alan never failed to express happiness in a situation or with family and friends.  Those who know him will instantly get a picture in their minds of him rubbing his hands together and grinning from ear to ear.  His joy has always been infectious, and gave us all something to smile about.

Lesson 2:  Learn something new every day, and always take time to share your knowledge with others.  Alan's famous conversation starter is "Did you know...?" and everyone knew we'd hear something amazing like the date that his favorite magazine was first published, or the publication date and writer of his favorite worship song.

Lesson 3:  Develop a skill and nurture it every day.  Our son memorized the US highways and interstate system, and could tell you where a highway started, where it ended and what states it traversed.  He often planned the route for our vacations.  I could always count on Alan to tell me what highway would be the best route to take to get to a destination.

Lesson 4:  Put all your trust and faith in God.  Remember that this world is not your home.  From the time he was about 8, Alan has expressed his firm belief that God was at work in his life.  He would tell anyone who would listen that he had lots of issues in his life, but that he knew he would "not have that when Jesus comes back."  I remember once he met a young lady at our church who was deaf.  He patted her on the back and said, "When Jesus comes back, you won't be deaf anymore."

There are more life lessons that I could share, but for now this will do.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope