The Serenity Prayer

I have spent a lot of the last few years latching onto ways I can help Lacy.  Kenny and I both have chosen things to worry about.  Recently, we have realized that we are trying to find some way to help, to make things better.  

We've realized that there are so many things we can't fix.  We need to accept what is, and let go of the things that we have no real control over.  

This put me in mind of the Serenity Prayer, and I looked up the original, written by Reinhold Neibuhr, which is well-known.  I found an expanded version that spoke to me and I've reproduced it here.  

God, give me the grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish 
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time, 
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to you will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with you forever in the next.

Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope