10,000 Reasons

When I was in college, my friend Vicki and I would take time before the fall semester to talk about the upcoming year.  What might happen this year?  Would any of our friends begin dating?  Get engaged? Get married?  Would we learn something new about ourselves, or understand some universal truth more deeply?  What would God have in store for us in the upcoming fall and spring semesters?

I've been a teacher for a long time, and my "year" always seems to begin in August when school is back in session.  It is at this time that I wonder:  How will my life change?  What new opportunities will open for me?  What challenges will I face?

I've always started a new school year with hope.  I want to do my best for my colleagues and for the students I influence.  Some years are better than others.  But each year, I want to be a better colleague and teacher than the last.  I pray that I can be a blessing.

I admit that I am feeling some anxiety as I begin this school year.  My mornings will not start with hugging my boy.  The rituals I had developed to include our son will no longer be part of my routine.  Yet, with this loss comes a freedom to explore other ways of loving and caring.   I've spent the summer resting and trying to soak in God's comfort, to heal and feel more confident.  Kenny has been back to work for some time now, and he tells me he is feeling more confident and less anxious every day.  I believe that as I get back into my work schedule, I will feel the same.

Still, I know that a year can change everything.  Life itself is a journey full of unexpected joys and sorrows.  God gives the strength to walk through each day, no matter what it holds.   I am so grateful for that provision.

My favorite song right now is 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redmon.  We sing this at church fairly often, and I find it comforting.  There are always so many reasons to sing God's praises and to express gratitude.  My prayer for this next year is that I will be grateful each day for what God provides.

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Worship His holy Name
Sing like never before, Oh my soul
I'll worship Your holy Name.

The sun comes up it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes....

You're rich in love and You're slow to anger
Your name is great and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find.
                              ~ from "10,000 Reasons" by Matt Redmon




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope