Showers of Blessing

There shall be showers of blessing,
This is the promise of God.
There shall be seasons refreshing
Sent from the Savior above.

    Showers of blessing
    Showers of blessing we need:
    Mercy drops round us are falling,
    But for the showers we plead.

God knows when we need to be encouraged.  He knows when our hearts have taken a beating.  I am so thankful for His care and mercy when He gives us a time of refreshment.  Today was such a day and such a time.

The last few times we have seen Lacy, he has been angry and paranoid.  After several visits had to be cut short due to his anger, both Kenny and I found ourselves weary of the familiar pattern.  A few minutes into a visit, we would say the wrong thing, and Lacy would begin to "call" the Springdale Police saying he needed help.  He turn to one of us, wave his index finger in the air and let us know "I refuse to be your parent!" or "I refuse to be my beloved son." (Translation:  I am no longer your son, you are no longer my parents!)

Today, however, we enjoyed a delightful hour with smiles and laughter.  It's spring break, and we took our little dog, Violet, to the nursing home with us.  She was a hit with everyone, including Lacy.  He smiled at her and even pet her a bit.  We all went out to the little garden they have behind the nursing home.

Sitting beneath the vine-covered pergola, we talked about the fresh air, the cool breeze, and the signs of spring.  Kenny teased Lacy and they both laughed.  Lacy talked about some of the nurses and aides that he knew.  Violet lay at our feet, or explored the bushes and the patio.

After nearly an hour, the familiar patterned re-emerged "I need some help," Lacy began.  "I need the Springdale Police."  Turning to Kenny he said very calmly, "I refuse to be my beloved son."

It was time to go, but there was a lightness in our hearts as we left.  Thank you, Lord, for a time of refreshing!

Kenny and Lacy

Kenny, Lacy, and Violet enjoy the beautiful day.

Lacy, Violet, and I are getting a little sunshine.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Grief and Hope

Our Sweet Beloved Son