Only One Thing is Needful

Lacy is doing well this summer.  In spite of falling more, he is generally happy and our visits have been pleasant on the whole.  We are making plans for our 2nd Annual Team Hope Walk on October 12.

I think both Kenny and I are feeling a bit more pragmatic about Lacy's health and the progression of the HD.  Although the disease is progressing, it is a slow progression right now.   Right now, we are in a holding pattern - as I describe it to friends and physicians - and the status quo is ok.  It won't last, but then nothing does.  As my friend Jenny would say, "Good times, bad times; they never last."

I've also re-discovered My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers this summer.  I always wonder why I put this incredible devotional book down at all, but sometimes I do.  When i pick it back up I am always comforted and reminded that there is only one thing that is needful.  I feel like I am sometimes so concerned with so many things, and I welcome the reminder that I only need to focus on Jesus and His work in my life.

This summer has been the summer of reconnection with old friends.  Nancy, who was my maid of honor at my wedding; Felicia whose children were Lacy's good buddies in childhood.  They are more than friends...we are connected by time and shared joys and sorrows.  We meet and begin our conversations where we left off the last time.  Two days or two years, it would be the same.   I am thankful that we have so many of those lifelong friends - Vicki, Pam, Rick, Dale, Sheryl, Jenny, Mark; they know us, they know what Kenny and I value, they love Lacy - these kinds of friendships are precious and comforting.

My siblings and I are coming to terms with our mother's difficulties.  Mom is having a hard time overcoming a bout with pneumonia.  She is struggling each day to get up, get dressed, get out.  But she is trying.  My sister and I take turns going to see about Mom and taking her to appointments.  My brother and his family live several hours away, but he talks with Mom and encourages her as he can.

I am reminded of how difficult it was for us when Lacy was younger and we struggled every day to help him be a part of the world.  We demanded his participation.  We pushed, and fought, and clawed our way with him to give him the best possible future.  Now that his health is failing, his manners are still intact as he gives a hearty "Thank you," "You are very welcome," adding a "Ma'am" or "Sir" as he talks with friends and staff members both real and imaginary.  He continues to be an example to us and to everyone of faith and perseverance.  As he told a representative from the state waiver services "I am a superb person, and that's all you need to know."  So true, son!

As school starts and reflection time will come at a premium, I want to focus on what is important.  I am going to try to keep the the wisdom of Oswald Chambers in my heart and mind:  It is what I am doing now that is God's goal for my life.

What is my dream of God's purpose?  His purpose is that I depend on Him and on His power now.  If I can stay in the middle of the turmoil calm and unperplexed, that is the end of the purpose of God.  God is not working towards a particular finish; His end is the process - that I see Him walking on the waves, no shore in sight, no success, no goal, just the absolute certaintly that it is all right because I see Him walking on the sea.  It is the process, not the end, which is glorifying to God.

Comments

  1. Thanks for reminding me of Oswald Chambers again. I need to pick that back up this summer also. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much to be thankful for, so many friends who love us and support us with prayer. You people know who you are...Thanks, Sarah, for your prayers. We pray for you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Bearing the Unbearable.

Beyond Amsterdam