Surprises

I will be undergoing surgery this week. On Mother's Day, we picked up Alan and went to my mother's for lunch. I have this bracelet on my left wrist - from type and match for blood - and Alan noticed it.

"Did you go to the hospital or something?" he asked.

I explained that I would be going into the hospital for surgery this week.

"What kind of surgery? Like when I had my nose surgery?"

I told him that it would be different, more extensive.

"You had gall bladder surgery when I was little." Alan said.

I was surprised - but shouldn't have been. He remembers everything.

He was quiet for a minute. "Will you be able to see me next weekend?" he asked.

I told him no, that I would not, but that his dad would see him.

Although the questions were very matter of fact, I could tell he was a little worried.

"Do you want me to call you this week, after my surgery?" I asked him.

"Yes, Mom, I would like that. I would like to hear your voice after your surgery."

It's the little things that surprise me, and when Alan indicates he is really concerned about something, I am touched. This was a great conversation, and a wonderful day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope