Mary and Martha: In His Presence

This week has been a difficult one for Kenny and I.  We are in the midst of figuring out what is best for Lacy, whether it be a nursing home or our home.  We have agonized over the necessity of needing to move Lacy, and our desire to make sure he feels safe and loved.

I've not slept well, and have felt the weight of worry on my heart and mind.  This morning, the Lord began to speak to me in that still, small voice that is the true voice of God.

As I was driving to work, a scripture popped into my head: "And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?" (Matthew 6:27).  I fully realized that I was being reminded that worrying would not solve my problems.  The very next thought in my mind was the story of Mary and Martha from Luke 10.

I have always felt sorry for Martha, because it seemed she was getting chastised for making dinner. I felt that Jesus was saying that making a meal is not nearly as important as sitting at His feet listening.  But then, it hit me that what Jesus was really saying was that Martha's worrying was depriving her of joy in service.  Mary was finding peace and joy sitting at Jesus' feet.  Martha's service was just as important, but she was so worried that she was robbing herself.  When I got to work, I read the passage and really keyed in on Jesus' words: "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.  Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."  I think that better part was finding joy in His presence.

I consciously gave my anxiety to Jesus, and asked Him to take my worries about Lacy's transition to the nursing home.  This morning Kenny called to report that when Lacy had his evaluation for transition to the nursing home, the person doing the evaluation sat down with Kenny and LifeStyles staff to make a plan for Lacy.  The plan addresses all our concerns and our worries.

All afternoon, this song has been running through my head:

In Your presence, in Your presence
There is peace.
In Your presence, in Your presence
There is joy.

I will linger, I will stay
In Your presence day by day
That Your likeness may be seen in me.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope