In appreciation

When you have a family member with special needs, whether it's developmental delay, autism, dementia, or Huntington's Disease, you so appreciate it when someone who cares for your loved one "sees" them as a person, not as a set of issues or problems.

Last week, Alan had to go to a doctor for an urgent health issue, and I met Madeline and Alan at the doctor's office. Some over the counter meds were needed, so I purchased those and headed back to Alan's group home to leave them there. A new staff member will be working with Alan this weekend, and she was being briefed by the head of residential services. I gave the meds to Madeleine, and she told me that this new staff member would be shadowing her for a couple of days. I expressed relief that she would get to explain how to help Alan and how to react (actually NOT react) to his behavior issues.

I was almost shocked when Madeline said, "Yes, I want to make sure she understands what Alan is going through."

I realized that she sees our son as a person with a health issue that makes it hard for HIM to function day in and day out. Madeline does not see Alan as a set of behavior problems. This is also true of the two other main staff members that usually care for our son. I have come to expect many people to see the myriad of emotional and behavior issues, and focus on the growing number of them. It was like seeing an oasis in a desert.

Thank you to Madeline, Lena, and Mohammed. You are truly our extended "family members" and we appreciate you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope