Thanks-Giving

 I've not been on my blog for quite some time.  After our Lacy passed away, there was not much to say.  But now, 5 years later, I am feeling my heart healing, and my ability to look back and be thankful is returning.  

In the late fall/early winter of 2005, our Lacy was in the hospital for four weeks.  What started as severe chills and fever became strep pneumonia.  Lacy spent a week in our local hospital, but after a short-lived improvement had to be intubated and airlifted to Little Rock.  

It was touch and go for the first 3 weeks, but finally Lacy was moved from ICU (and 16 days on a ventilator) and spent another week in a regular room until he was released in January of 2006.

While Lacy was in ICU my routine included spending an hour with him three times a day, reading to him, rubbing his feet, and praying for Lacy's recovery.  Giving thangs for blessings lifted my spirits and gave me hope.  Including Lacy in my thanks-giving was encouraging for him.

The scripture "In everything give thanks.." was my inspiration.  I did not give thanks for Lacy's illness, but began to express my thanks to the Lord for the nurses and doctors, the CNAs and chaplains.  I gave thanks for sunny days, and for friends who opened their home to me for that month.  As I focused on giving thanks, I felt the burden of fear and concern lift.  Nothing in our situation changed, but I let God have this burden.  

Today I am giving thanks for my blessings. My siblings, my nieces and nephews, my home and my spouse.  My little dog Roger.  A beautiful day and a time to be with family.  I won't minimize the losses.  We will always miss our Lacy.   It is a bittersweet holiday since this was one we always spent with my parents.   However, there are always blessings to list, and I'll be listing those today.  Won't you join me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope