An Object Lesson

Kenny and I are in Florida for the Christmas holiday.  We decided last month that we could not endure a long and sad Christmas at home thinking about the way things used to be.  We miss Lacy so much.

We booked a trip to St. George Island, Florida and flew here on Thursday.  The weather is sunny and mild - not warm or cold - and the island is quiet since it's the off season.

This morning, Kenny and I took a long walk down the beach.  The wind and waves soothed and refreshed us.  No need to hurry, no place to go.  We walked, sometimes holding hands, sometimes stopping to watch a pelican dive into the water.

As it turns out, our walk lasted over two hours.  We came back to our room at the inn, ate lunch, and took a nap.

For the first time since Lacy's death, I had a dream about him that was not disturbing.  It was as though I was seeing pieces of our life together, but the overall feeling was one of peace.

Awake, I was thinking about our walk on the beach, and I realized that I'd seen a beach like that before - in a dream.

I'd had a dream in September of 2012 that Kenny, Lacy, and I were walking along a beach when Lacy darted into the water.  He was soon too far away for us to catch.  I was frantic at first, until Kenny pointed to a house far out in the ocean; a house with a wide porch.  Someone was on the porch waving.  "See," Kenny said in my dream, "they have him.  He's okay.  Let's keep going."

As my dream ended, Kenny and I walked on down the beach.  We were going on with our lives, able to continue without Lacy, knowing that he was safe.

I realized that God in His wisdom knew that we needed an object lesson; a reminder that He had gone before us and prepared the way.  I am so amazed at the little glimpses of glory God gives us.  What a miracle that God prepared us to take this trip, knowing that we would be reminded of the dream, and that He was walking with us.

To read a post about my dream, check out the September 29, 2012 post A Dream.

Comments

  1. Beauty of another place and time in this world's ashes----how loving and wise our God is and such a gift at this time of year. Love and hugs to you both as you get some time away!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope