Sometimes the Magic Works....

"Well, sometimes the magic works.  Sometimes it doesn't" ~ Old Lodge Skins from the film "Little Big Man"

Yesterday was a dental appointment for Lacy.  Any change of routine can be very problematic.  We never know what mood Lacy will be in when we get there.  Usually he is happy to see us at first, but yesterday was quite different.

As I entered the room, Lacy pointed at me from his chair and announced, "I do not want to be My Sweet Beloved Mom anymore!"  This is his name for me.  Apparently, he had been ranting about me for days, wanting to sever our relationship because of my crimes.

"You are guilty of jaywalking and persecuting My Beloved Son!"  Lacy calls himself "My Beloved Son" and often refers to himself in the third person.  It's important to listen to him intently, not to laugh or look away.  I want him to know that I am listening.

"Do you mean you don't want to be My Beloved Son anymore?"  I asked.  He nodded.  "Yes!"

I walked over to his chair, bent down, and looked him in the eye.  "Will you accept my apology?"  I asked.

Lacy smiled and nodded.  "Yes."

"Can I be your Sweet Beloved Mom again?"

"Yes you can," he nods solemnly.

"Will you go with me to the dentist today?"

Lacy grinned.  "Yes I will!"

Just like that, the crisis is over.  An apology doesn't always work, but it's always worth a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope