Ephemeral Life

On Thursday, Kenny and I braved the elements to go to the opening of an exhibit of our niece's art.  "Ephemeral Shrines" featured Lakey's headpieces that represented events or times in her life - ephemeral life - with intriguing themes like loneliness, life's balancing act, and the bittersweet memories of first love.  

I've been mulling that word - "ephemeral" - around in my mind since Thursday.  "Lasting for a very short time; transitory; fleeting; short-lived; momentary:" These words are part of the definition.  Ephemeral even sounds like a puff of wind.  

As we sat with Lakey and listened to her explain how the various headpieces made their way from idea/vision/feeling to tangible art, I felt a connection to what she was voicing.  Although I don't create art, I do write this blog, and it is in some ways an account of this ephemeral life as we live it among our family and friends.  

The Psalmist begs God for an understanding of the brevity of life:  "Let me know how transient I am." (Psalm 39:4).  To live is to know that life is ephemeral.  

Paul writes, "For this momentary light affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen, but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day by Day

Our Sweet Beloved Son

Grief and Hope